Texas school shooting – level 2
Last week, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos killed 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Texas, US.
Ramos lived with his grandmother, and he wrote on social media that he would kill her. He shot her in the face, got in a car, and drove to the school. He crashed the car nearby. His grandmother survived the attack, and she called the police. Meanwhile, Ramos entered the school through a back door, and he started shooting. He had guns which he bought on his birthday. Reports said that police killed him at the scene.
The Texas shooting was the worst school shooting in the US in the last ten years, and it was the 27th school shooting this year. The US president said that the government must stop the gun lobby. Children are now scared to go to school, and parents are worried if they would see their children after school.
Difficult words: survive (to be alive after something bad happens), scene (the place where something happens), lobby (a group of people who want to make politicians change the law because it will help them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.