Thailand Protests – level 1
People in Thailand protest against the government. They protest in the last five months.
People want better laws. Also, people are not happy with the prime minister. They want him to end his job. The prime minister gets to power in 2014. But soldiers help him.
Last week’s protests are very violent. Police use tear gas and water cannons. They also shoot at people. More than 50 people are hurt. Some people use big yellow pool ducks to protect themselves. The ducks become a symbol of the protests.
Another protest takes place in Bangkok. People protest against police violence. They meet before a police station. They try to break the building.
Difficult words: protest (to show or say that you are not happy about something your government is doing), tear gas (a gas that hurts the eyes), water cannon (a device that shoots a strong stream of water at people), symbol (a thing or a picture that represents or shows something else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.