The Airlander – level 3
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Well, it’s actually quite hard to define!
The Airlander’s a cross between a plane, an airship, and a helicopter. And it’s massive – as long as a football pitch and as tall as six double-decker buses. Small wonder it’s been dubbed the biggest aircraft in the world.
Today the Airlander made its debut flight in the UK, floating in a hangar at Cardington airport in Bedfordshire. The hybrid aircraft needs to clock up 200 hours of flying time before it’s deemed airworthy by the Civil Aviation Authority and the European Aviation Safety Agency. But its makers, Hybrid Air Vehicles, believe it could be the aircraft of the future.
They say that 25 million pound Airlander is capable of carrying heavier loads than a jumbo jet, while producing far less noise and emitting no pollution. The company reportedly plans to build twelve Airlanders every year by 2018, some of which could be used for passenger travel.
Difficult words: cross (hybrid), dub (give an unofficial name), clock up (reach, register), deem (consider), airworthy (safe to fly), emit (to put out).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.