The AUKUS deal – level 1
The UK, the US, and Australia make a deal. This deal is called the AUKUS deal. It is about submarines. A submarine is a ship which travels underwater.
The three countries want to reduce China’s power in the Indo-Pacific region. They will make nuclear-powered submarines. Workers will build these submarines in Britain and Australia. But the ships will use technologies from all three countries. Australia is a nuclear-free country. The US president says that the submarines will not change that.
China is strongly against the plan. Chinese officials say that this will make the world’s situation even more dangerous.
Difficult words: reduce (to make something smaller or less intense), nuclear-powered (using energy which comes from breaking small things called atoms), technology (machines and equipment).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think are the possible outcomes of the AUKUS deal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos