The AUKUS deal – level 2
The UK, the US, and Australia introduced a plan to make a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines.
The model of the submarine is called SSN-AUKUS, and workers will build it in Britain and Australia. The design will be British, but the ship will use technologies from all three countries. Australia is a nuclear-free country, and these will be its first nuclear submarines. US president Joe Biden said that this fact will not threaten Australia’s promise to stay a nuclear-free country.
The deal is called the AUKUS deal, and the three countries want to reduce China’s power in the Indo-Pacific region. China strongly reacted against the plan, and its officials said that it would make the world’s situation even more dangerous.
Difficult words: fleet (the number of vehicles which a country or organization has), submarine (a ship which can travel underwater), threaten (to cause harm or put at risk).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think the long-term implications of the AUKUS deal will be for the region?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos