The AUKUS deal – level 3
The UK, US and Australia have unveiled a new plan to create a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines.
The AUKUS deal is aimed at countering China’s influence in the Indo-Pacific region and will see the boats in operation from the late 2030s. The new model is being called SSN-AUKUS and will be built in Britain and Australia to a British design; however, it will use technology from all three countries.
Under the pact, Australia will receive its first nuclear capabilities. However, US president Joe Biden stressed that the submarines wouldn’t jeopardize Australia’s commitment to being a nuclear-free country. Britain’s Prime Minister Rishi Sunak highlighted the importance of the pact that would unite the US, UK, and Australia against increasing international threats.
China has strongly criticized the significant naval deal, and its foreign ministry accused the three nations of walking further and further down the path of error and danger.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are some of the implications for regional security in the Indo-Pacific region due to the AUKUS pact?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.