The body’s appendix – level 3
The body’s appendix is the small tube that’s attached to our large intestine, and it’s located in the lower right side of our belly.
Scientists agree that the appendix might be a leftover organ as humans evolved, and it gets little credit because people can generally live without it. However, a study published in 2007 suggests that the appendix could help with digestion. Researchers found that the appendix helps store good microbes that digest food. These good bacteria leave our body when we are ill, and the appendix releases more of them.
Another study suggests that the appendix strengthens our immunity. It contains lymphoid cells that help the body fight infection. People without their appendix are more likely to have a severe illness if they get an infection from bacteria that cause diarrhea and colon inflammation.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.