The Coldest Village in the World – level 3
Oymyakon is a Russian town that people claim is the coldest inhabited place on Earth. It lies far in Siberia’s Yakutia region where temperatures drop below minus 60.
One man says that it has been like this for years, explaining that when he was in school, it was minus 60 or 61 every year and now it stays like that for at least ten days in a row.
Oymyakon has another record—the Yakutian horse, which is small but perfectly formed and very hardy.
Difficult words: inhabit (where people, animals, or plants live), hardy (strong and healthy).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this village?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos