The Confederate flag in South Carolina – level 1
This news is from South Carolina in the USA. It is about the Confederate flag. It is a very controversial flag. For some people, it a symbol of their history. For others, it is a symbol of racism.
One month ago, a man killed nine black people. They were in a church. The man had the flag.
People start to talk about the flag. Politicians talk about this in the statehouse. They take down the flag outside the statehouse.
Difficult words: controversial (when something is controversial, many people talk and do not agree about something), were (past of “are”), politician (a “boss” of a country or a state), statehouse (the building for politicians of a state).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.