The first cannabis café in Israel – level 2
Karam Shbeeta opened the first cannabis café in Israel. The café was called Smoky Monkey, and it was in the town of Tira.
When the man opened the café, many people were scared. Some people wanted to kill the man or burn down the café. Then slowly, they started to understand.
Shbeeta knew many people who smoked marijuana, and they bought it illegally. These people had chronic pain, and Shbeeta wanted to help them legally.
Before visitors of the café can buy marijuana, they have to show their medical file. Then the staff decide if they will sell it to them. Most users are people with pain after work injuries, car accidents, and so on. They said that marijuana was the only thing which really stopped their pain.
Difficult words: cannabis café (a place where people can buy or smoke marijuana), chronic pain (a pain which last for a very long time, or it keeps coming back), medical file (documents with information about a person’s health).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.