The first cannabis café in Israel – level 3
At a cannabis café in the Arab town of Tira in Israel, people legally and freely buy, smoke or use medical marijuana.
Smoky Monkey is the first café of its kind in the country, and its owner Karam Shbeeta says he’s on a mission to change the mentality about people who use the product for medical purposes. Shbeeta was inspired by people who used cannabis from the illegal black market. He thought that he could help people with chronic pain to take the drug safely.
Most people who come to Smoky Monkey suffer from chronic pain from work injuries, violence, or car accidents. The staff check their medical file, and according to the file, they decide whether cannabis is suitable for the person.
When Shbeeta opened the shop, he received death threats and threats to burn down the café. However, little by little, people started to understand the idea behind the café.
Difficult words: mentality (a person’s or group’s thoughts), chronic (when something continues for a long time), medical file (a record of a patient’s medical history, treatments, and tests).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos