The Great Barrier Reef – level 1
The Great Barrier Reef is the system of 2,500 reefs and islands. It is the largest coral reef in the world. Its area is about 248,000 square kilometers. The Great Barrier Reef is in Australia.
The Great Barrier Reef is in UNESCO´s World Heritage. This means that it is a very special place. People must protect it. It is important for the future.
Then the UN says that the reef is losing its color. It is dying. This is because the oceans are too warm.
Australia does not agree with the UN. Australian officials say that it is not good for the country. Tourists do not want to see dead coral reefs. The country will lose money. Australia says that the reefs are colorful.
Difficult words: reef (a rock above or underwater), coral reef (large corals which look like colorful stones; corals are special animals that look like plants and other animals live in them), protect (to keep safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the Great Barrier Reef?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.