The Great Replacement Theory – level 2
The Great Replacement Theory is a US conspiracy theory which says that nonwhite people are replacing White people. This theory was once only on the dark web, but now it’s on TV, and even some politicians agree with it.
In past years, mass shootings happened to Black, Hispanic, and Jewish people in the US. The killers of these people believed in the theory. Last weekend, an 18-year-old man killed 10 Black people in the US. He also believed in the theory, and he said that it was happening because of immigration and White and nonwhite marriage.
Experts say that we cannot stop racism, but we can speak about it and its dangers.
Difficult words: conspiracy theory (a theory which says that events are in a secret plan by powerful people), replace (to put something in the place of something else), dark web (a part of the Internet which people find with special software).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.