The Great Resignation – level 1
The coronavirus changes business and people’s lives, too. Many companies must close in 2020 and 2021. People work from home. Some people have no work at all.
Millions of Americans stay out of work. In November 2021, 4.5 million Americans quit their work. It is the highest number ever.
Now, many businesses open again. They have big problems. There are not enough workers. Some people find other jobs. Some people stay without jobs.
Restaurants and shops do not have enough workers. There are not enough drivers. It means that companies do not deliver things in time. The ports are full. Experts call this situation the Great Resignation.
Some people say that this time is a new chance for them. There are new jobs. They are different. Some people like the situation. People have more time for their family and hobbies.
Difficult words: deliver (to bring things to shops and people’s homes), port (a place where ships load and unload things and people), Great Resignation (when many people leave their jobs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos