The history of the Michelin star – level 1
André and Édouard Michelin are brothers. They are French. They have a company which makes tires. This is in the year 1891. The brothers want to sell more tires. They have an idea. They write a guide for drivers.
The guide has information about gas stations and restaurants. The brothers think that more people will drive. Then, they will sell more tires. They give stars to the best restaurants.
Today, the best restaurants get three stars. Thousands of restaurants have at least one Michelin star. Inspectors are interested in five things. For example, these are things such as the quality of food, special ways of cooking, and the personality of the chef.
Difficult words: tire (a rubber ring around a car’s wheel), inspector (a person who checks something), personality (how somebody acts as a person).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos