The Holy Year – level 1
The Catholic Church is traditional. It does not like homosexuals. It also does not like abortions. If a woman has an abortion, she must leave the church.
Pope Francis, however, is not very traditional. Popes are usually from Europe. Pope Francis is not from Europe. He is OK with homosexuals.
The Holy Year starts on December 8th. It will be a year of forgiveness. It will be a special year for women after abortions. These women can be forgiven.
Difficult words: abortion (when a woman has a baby taken out of her body), will (this means “in the future”), forgiveness (the act of forgiving – to stop being angry at somebody for doing something that you think is bad).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is this good or bad news to you?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos