The Imbolc Fire Festival – level 1
There is a village in England. It has a festival that is thousands of years old. It is called the Imbolc Fire Festival. It celebrates the beginning of Spring and the end of Winter.
This year, thousands of spectators come to the festival. They want to see the procession. People carry torches and wear Druid costumes.
The festival organiser says that the procession has two giants in it this year. The giants are supposed to be Winter and Spring. They have a battle. Spring wins.
Difficult words: spectator (a person who watches an event), procession (a large group of people moving together), Druid costume (clothing of a person from an old religion of the United Kingdom), giant (a very big person).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.