The Last Children – level 3
South Korea’s Nokdo Island only has a few children left and it is rapidly depopulating.
There are about a hundred residents and the children don’t have many playmates. A school opened especially for them a few years ago, and the teacher was dispatched from the mainland.
Nokdo is emblematic of a wider democratic crisis, with South Korea having the world’s fastest aging society and the lowest birth rate in the world in 2020. South Korea’s economic boom in the 1970s saw the rise of world-class manufacturers like Samsung and Hyundai. As more women entered the workforce, family planning campaigns, including sterilization, began. More recently, soaring houses prices in cities have been blamed for fewer babies in the country.
Despite the lack of friends, Nokdo provides a better playground for the last children than big cities. The island has no traffic, it isn’t noisy, and the air is clean. The children can play outside more actively and they like it there.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.