The longest time in space – level 3
Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko recently broke the world record for the longest time spent in space, surpassing his compatriot Gennady Padalka.
Kononenko achieved this milestone while aboard the International Space Station (ISS). He expressed his passion for space exploration, emphasizing his love for the work over setting records. Kononenko, who is orbiting approximately 423 miles from Earth, highlighted the physical challenges of space travel, including the effects of weightlessness. Despite technological advances allowing for better communication with loved ones back on Earth, he lamented missing out on significant moments with family during his extended missions. Kononenko’s journey reflects Russia’s enduring legacy in space exploration, despite challenges faced by its space program over the years.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What challenges has Russia's space program faced over the years and how has it still maintained a strong legacy in space exploration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.