The mask of Tutankhamun – level 3
This is the mask of Tutankhamun, Egypt’s famous boy king. The beard broke off in 2014 when museum workers were changing the lights in its display case and accidentally touched the mask. It had been glued back together but needed further repair work after images surfaced online, showing a line of glue around its chin. It was unveiled after nine weeks of restoration work.
Egyptian Minister of Antiquities, Mamdouh Eldamaty, announced the beard had never been fixed since the mask was first excavated and brought to the Egyptian Museum with its beard unattached in 1924. It was reattached to the mask in 1941 with glue that had deteriorated over the past 70 years.
Eldamaty said they had discovered an additional gold tube inside the beard while restoring the artefact.
Difficult words: unveil (to show something to the public), antiquity (an object from the ancient past), announce (to say something officially), excavate (to dig out of the ground), deteriorate (to fall apart), artefact (a historically important object).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.