The most expensive cities in the world – level 3
According to The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Cost of Living Index, Singapore and Zurich have surpassed New York as the world’s most expensive cities.
The index considers prices of various products and services, including transport, rent, food, and alcohol, in 173 cities globally. Geneva, New York, and Hong Kong complete the top five. Global prices rose by 7.4% year-on-year, a slight decrease from the previous year’s 8.8% increase. Grocery prices continued to rise due to manufacturers and retailers passing on costs to consumers. Increased demand for post-pandemic travel led to a significant climb in transport prices.
The EIU anticipates interest rate rises, economic activity slowdown, and dampened consumer demand in 2024. Potential factors affecting costs include the Israel-Hamas conflict and El Niño impacting food prices.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are some potential factors that may affect the cost of living in global cities in 2024, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit's Cost of Living Index?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.