The new Suez Canal – level 1
The Suez Canal is in Egypt. It earns Egypt 5 billion dollars a year. Egypt makes the canal better. Ships waited 22 hours before. Now, they wait 11 hours.
The canal will help the economy. It will make 15 billion dollars. The canal is a symbol of Egypt’s economy.
Difficult words: earn (to make money), symbol (a thing that means something else), economy (the money of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the new Suez Canal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.