The Northern Lights – level 2
Normally, the Northern Lights can be seen in Scandinavia, Greenland, Alaska, Canada and Russia. Sometimes, they travel as far south as places like Minnesota, which happened recently.
How do the Northern Lights happen? Sometimes, there are explosions on the surface of the sun. Large amounts of charged particles are thrown into space. Sometimes, they travel towards Earth.
Earth’s magnetic field guides the particles towards the polar regions. As the particles come down, they enter the atmosphere. The particles hit gasses in the atmosphere, and they release energy. This energy can be seen as the Northern Lights.
Difficult words: charged (having an electrical charge), particle (a very small piece of something), guide (to move somewhere).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever seen the Northern Lights?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.