The Oldest Geisha – level 3
Ninety-year-old geisha Yuko Asakusa has sat in front of her mirror putting on make-up and adjusting her kimono for 75 years.
The Asakusa Geisha Association said Yuko is the city’s oldest geisha who still maintains a busy schedule with up to 20 reservations a month.
Yuko has been working as a geisha in the Asakusa district of Tokyo since she was 16 and says she’s proud of her age and doesn’t hide it. When she was 13, Yuko asked to become a geisha after she was influenced by geisha film she watched with her mother. She debuted as a fully-fledged geisha three years later.
While she no longer dances due to her age, Yuko say she’ll be singing and playing the Japanese three-stringed instrument called the shamisen until her last breath.
Today there are a few geishas left in the profession in which female entertainers sing, dance and engage in witty conversation at dinner parties for exorbitant prices. The number of geishas, which means performer in Japanese, peaked at 80,000 in 1928, but now only about a thousand remain.
Difficult words: schedule (day’s plan), influence (to make somebody do something), fully-fledged (completely trained), due to (because of), witty (clever and entertaining), exorbitant (very high), peak (to be the highest).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Who is the oldest working person you know?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.