The Oldest Painting – level 3
Scientists have discovered the world´s oldest known animal cave art on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.
The painting of a wild pig has been dated to 45,500 years ago, and scientists consider it the oldest depiction of the animal world anywhere on the planet. The animal has a clearly visible head, tail, and legs and next to it, there are two images of human hands.
The site of the discovery was really special and incredibly exciting because it was located in a hidden valley up in the highlands of southern Sulawesi. It was really close to one of the largest cities in Indonesia.
Scientists said that they were extraordinarily lucky to be able to date the painting based on the discovery of a small mineral growth that had formed on top of the painting. The dating method which was used is called Uranium-series dating.
Difficult words: cave art (paintings and engravings on the walls of caves and rock shelters), depiction (a representation of something in words or images), Uranium-series dating (a method that uses the radioactive decay of uranium to calculate an age).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.