The Olympics without Fans – level 2
Japan decided that fans from abroad cannot attend this year’s Olympics and Paralympics in Tokyo.
Japan postponed the games from 2020 to Summer 2021 because the coronavirus pandemic started, and people could not travel. Since last year, the situation got better, but there are new mutations of the virus and they are more dangerous. The Japanese government worries that foreigners could bring these mutations to Japan.
In the last Winter Olympics in South Korea, 20% of fans were from abroad. There is a third wave of the pandemic in Japan now and public places in Tokyo are closed. 77% of Japanese people think that fans from abroad should not come to Japan this summer.
Difficult words: abroad (in or to a foreign country), mutation (a change in a living thing or animal’s body), foreigner (a person who comes from a different country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos