The Olympics without Fans – level 3
Japan has decided that foreign spectators will not be welcome at this summer´s Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics due to COVID-19 concerns.
The Olympics and Paralympics are scheduled for this summer after being postponed for a year. The Japanese government has decided not to invite fans from abroad because there are public concerns about the coronavirus and the detection of more contagious variants in many countries. It´s also said that the opening ceremony of the torch relay will be held without spectators.
In the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea, international fans accounted for 20% of ticket sales. However, a recent poll showed that 77% of Japanese people did not want international visitors at the games amid fears over a resurgence of infections.
Japan has been hit hard by a third wave of the coronavirus pandemic, and Tokyo remains under a state of emergency.
Difficult words: contagious (spread from one person to another by contact), torch relay (when a ceremonial torch is carried and passed by torchbearers as a symbol of the Olympic message of peace and hope), resurgence (a new start or a sudden, great increase in activity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.