The origin of COVID-19 – level 1
The World Health Organization still does not know where the COVID-19 virus comes from.
Last week’s report by Wall Street Journal says that the virus leaks from a lab. US officials think that this is true. A team of WHO and Chinese experts want to find the truth. They say that the virus probably comes from wild animals. It does not seem that the virus leaks from a lab.
WHO says that both ideas are possible. China must cooperate with international experts. China must be open and tell the truth. Until China does it, it is not possible to know the origin of the virus.
Difficult words: leak (when gas, liquid, or other material gets out of a place by mistake), lab (a place where scientists make tests and experiments), origin (where something comes from).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think is the most likely origin of the COVID-19 virus?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos