The origin of COVID-19 – level 3
The World Health Organization said that all hypotheses of the origin of the COVID-19 pandemic were still on the table.
Last week, US authorities backed the theory that the virus originated from a lab. WHO repeatedly called for more transparency from China, saying that it was impossible to be sure about the origins of the virus until authorities shared data. A joint WHO-China team has said that a spread from wild animals was far more likely than a leak out of a human lab. However, US officials contradicted this last week, after a Wall Street Journal report had determined that the virus may have been the result of a lab leak.
According to WHO, until China is transparent and conducts all necessary investigations, all scenarios are being considered.
Difficult words: hypothesis (an idea that is suggested as a possible explanation), contradict (to say the opposite of what someone has said), transparent (open and clear enough).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think is the most likely origin of the COVID-19 pandemic?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos