The price of Europe’s energy crisis – level 2
When Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, the EU imposed sanctions on Russia. As a result, Russia stopped to deliver gas to Europe.
This meant that prices of energy went up, and people were not able to pay their bills. Governments had to help these people and companies, too. A report by Brussels experts said that Europe already spent 850 billion dollars to solve the energy crisis. The EU allocated nearly 727 billion dollars, and Germany spent the most, 288 billion dollars.
The report said that the EU’s costs on the energy crisis were now similar to spending on the coronavirus crisis, which was about 800 billion dollars.
Difficult words: impose (to officially establish something), sanction (an action which a country takes to force another country to do something), allocate (to give something officially to someone).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What was the main reason for the EU's decision to impose sanctions on Russia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos