The rich are helping people – level 2
Mark Zuckerberg and his wife’s daughter was born last week, but the couple announced other interesting news. They say that they will give away 99% of their Facebook shares to a new charity. With this money, they want to help make the world a better place.
The shares are worth around 45 billion dollars. The couple are now on their maternity and paternity leave at the moment – they will announce more details when they return to work.
Other famous billionaires who are helping the world are, for example, Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates.
Difficult words: announce (to officially say something), share noun (part of a big business), maternity and paternity leave (the time when a mother or father do not work and are with their child).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the rich giving money to help people?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos