The story of Alex Batty – level 3
British teenager Alex Batty, allegedly kidnapped six years ago, escaped across the Pyrenees when his mother planned to move to Finland.
Living a nomadic lifestyle with his mother and solar-enthusiast grandfather, Alex, now 17, survived on whatever he found in fields during his journey. Spending two years in spiritual communities across Spain, Morocco, and France, he decided to flee when his mother announced the move to Finland. With only 100 euros and a skateboard, he revealed his desperation to a passing driver, expressing the need for a future. Found in a remote corner of France, Alex is expected to reunite with his grandmother who is his legal guardian. His mother, Melanie Batty, remains missing, possibly in Finland.
Despite his years away, Alex appears calm and intelligent, sharing details of his nomadic life. French prosecutors are investigating while ensuring the safe return of the boy, who is set to return to the UK accompanied by British police officers.
Difficult words: nomadic (moving from one place to another rather than living in one place all of the time), desperation (the feeling that you are in such a bad situation that you’ll try anything to change it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What were some of the challenges that Alex faced during his two-year journey across Spain, Morocco, and France?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.