The Tasmanian devil – level 1
The Tasmanian devil is an animal. It is a marsupial, and it eats meat. It can be 76 centimetres long and 12 kilograms heavy.
In Tasmania, there are 10,000 devils. That is a small number. In 1996, there were 250,000 devils.
There are only 10,000 devils now because of a disease. The disease is very bad. It can kill a devil in 6 months.
People help the animals. They build a special centre for them. This centre is in Sydney. The devils can have their babies there.
Difficult words: marsupial (an animal like the kangaroo which carries its babies in a pocket of skin on its body), were (past of “are”), disease (a very bad sickness).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.