The ugliest dog for 2014 – level 3
It may surprise you to know this, but you’re currently looking at an award-winning animal.
This is Peanut, winner of the 2014 world’s ugliest dog competition in Petaluma, California.
An accolade that rewarded, or perhaps that should be compensated, owner Holly Chandler to the tune of $1,500.
The award-winning dog who, let’s be honest, has the face of a tiny, angry horse, saw off competition from a number of homely hounds in order to take home the prize.
Some were hairless, some had warts and one even appeared to be missing a nose, but none of them turned the heads and the stomachs of judges quite like Peanut.
Like many dogs in the competition, Peanut was rescued from a shelter. Ms Chandler, who came all the way from North Carolina for the competition, says she plans to use the prize money to help other abused animals pay vet bills back home.
Difficult words: accolade (award), let’s be honest (to say something truthfully and hurtfully), see off (deal with something), homely (ugly), hound (dog), wart (small hard raised part on somebody’s skin), abused (hurt).
What do you think of competitions like this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.