The UK’s Latte Levy – level 1
People in the UK throw away a lot of disposable coffee cups. They throw away 2.5 billion cups each year. The government wants there to be more recycling. It wants to start a fee on disposable coffee cups.
The fee can make people use reusable cups. The fee can also make them want to make new types of coffee cups.
Normal coffee cups are hard to recycle. They have plastic on them. Right now, Britain can recycle only one per cent of cups.
Difficult words: disposable (something which people throw away after one use), recycle (turn trash into a new thing), fee (extra money that you must pay for something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you drink coffee?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos