The UK’s Latte Levy – level 2
The British government wants to start a fee on disposable coffee cups. It wants to encourage recycling, as people in the UK throw away 2.5 billion cups each year.
One member of the parliament said that the fee will encourage people to use reusable cups. Coffee companies may also want to work with the companies that make the coffee cups so that the cups can be recyclable.
Regular cardboard coffee cups have a layer of plastic to make them waterproof and that plastic is difficult to separate from the cardboard. Britain currently recycles only one per cent of cups.
Difficult words: fee (extra money that you must pay for something), disposable (something which people throw away after one use), encourage (make people want to do something), separate (get from the cardboard).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you drink coffee?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.