The US Attacks Syria – level 2
In Syria, someone used chemical weapons. Innocent civilians died. The US reacted with air-strikes. For the first time, the US directed the attack at one of President Assad’s military bases. Donald Trump’s intervention divided Syrian Americans.
In New York, people protested against America’s air-strikes on Syria. The protesters were unhappy with Donald Trump’s intervention. They voted for him because he promised not to be a policeman for the world. He promised to stay in America. One of the protesters said that this was another war based on a total lie.
However, a lot of Syrian Americans welcome what President Trump did. One of them said that he hopes that this action will end President Assad’s leadership in Syria. He thinks that the United States finally made a move for humanity and to help the Syrian people.
Difficult words: air-strike (a military attack by aircraft), intervention (come between two parties in a conflict), divided (put into groups), civilians (people, not soldiers).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.