The world is in debt – level 2
Global debt reached a new record of 307 trillion dollars in the second quarter of 2023.
It happened although interest rates were going up and banks lent less money. A report by The Institute of International Finance says that the debt keeps rising. In the first half of 2023, global debt in US dollars went up by 10 trillion. In the past ten years, it went up by 100 trillion.
The report said that slower growth and lower price increases caused this increase. Most of the new debt came from developed countries like the US, Japan, Britain, and France. In emerging markets, China, India, and Brazil saw the biggest increases.
The IIF said that as rates go up and debt levels get higher, it will put more pressure on governments and people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What kinds of economic policies can governments use to address the increasing global debt?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.