The world’s heaviest strawberry – level 1
A farmer in Israel grows a very big strawberry. It is a world record. The strawberry is 18 centimeters long. It weighs 289 grams. A normal strawberry is five times smaller.
How is it possible that the strawberry is so big? The weather is colder than usual. The sun doesn’t shine so much. The fruit doesn’t ripen so quickly. It grows bigger.
The farmer sees that the strawberry is very big. He thinks that it can be a world record. He picks the fruit. He puts it in a freezer.
The Guinness World Records officially says that his strawberry is the biggest in the world. The man takes it out of the freezer. He can show it to everyone.
The second biggest strawberry in the world grows in Japan in 2015. The strawberry weighs 250 grams.
Difficult words: world record (when something or someone is the best, biggest, fastest, and so on in the world), ripen (when a fruit is soft and sweet, and people can eat it), freezer (a very cold machine like a refrigerator that keeps your food frozen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.