The world´s largest dam – level 3
The giant Baihetan hydropower plant in China opens for business. It is the world´s largest dam by unit capacity, and it´s located on the Yangtze River on the border between the southwestern provinces of Yunnan and Sichuan.
The construction was one of China´s biggest and most challenging engineering projects, with a dam height of 289 meters, and it took only four years to build it. Provinces in eastern and central China with larger populations and more developed economies have been experiencing electricity shortages during peak demand periods.
The project is a part of a national plan to generate electricity and deliver it to high energy-consuming regions. It is also designed to strengthen control over water flows during the heavy summer flood season. Lastly, it is a part of Chinese efforts to curb increasing fossil fuel demand and bring about its goal of carbon neutrality.
Each unit of the hydroelectric plant is capable of producing 150 kilowatt-hours of electricity within a single rotation, which is the equivalent to the monthly electricity consumption of an ordinary family.
Difficult words: unit capacity (how much of something a utility can create), peak (at the highest level), curb (to keep under control), carbon neutrality (the state of balance between the carbon dioxide released and removed into and from the atmosphere).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.