The World’s Oxygen – level 2
People are worried about the world’s oxygen because many forests are burning in the Amazon rainforest. People believe that the Amazon rainforest creates 20% of the world’s oxygen from all of the plants that grow and generate oxygen there.
However, there are also organisms there which decompose the dead plants and breathe the oxygen. Rainforests make and use a lot of oxygen – it is mostly the oceans that generate oxygen.
Experts say that the deforestation of the rainforest is worse than the fires. Satellite images show that the Brazilian Amazon lost 430 square miles of forest in August because of deforestation and not fire.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.