The Year of the Tiger – level 2
People in China celebrated the Lunar New Year, also called Spring Festival.
Every year has a name after one of the twelve signs of the Chinese zodiac, which repeat. Last year was the Year of the Ox, and now, it is the Year of the Tiger. People decorate their homes with red lights, poems, and paper ornaments. They believe that decorations will bring them good things, health, and peace.
This year’s celebration started on February 1, and it was very quiet because of the pandemic. Many people believed that the pandemic would end because the tiger is a strong animal that kills monsters and ghosts.
Difficult words: zodiac (twelve signs which show the planets and stars, and each month has a different sign), poem (a special type of writing that is like a song), peace (the time when there is no war).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.