The Year of the Tiger – level 3
People in China are celebrating the Year of the Tiger that follows the Year of the Ox.
Each year has a name after one of the twelve signs of the Chinese zodiac in a repeating cycle. The lunar New Year, also known as Spring Festival, starts the beginning of the lunisolar calendar. This year’s festivities begin on Tuesday, February 1; however, the Chinese are planning for a quiet celebration because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many people decorate their homes with red lanterns, spring couplets, and paper cuttings, and they believe that the decorations will keep evil spirits away and bring blessings, health, and peace.
Many hope that the Year of the Tiger will bring an end to the pandemic because in Chinese folk tales, tigers protect people from evil, and they kill demons and ghosts.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.