Thieves Steal from Senate – level 2
An unusual event happened at Nigeria’s senate when a group of thieves came in during a meeting. They stole a ceremonial mace, which is a symbol of authority. Lawmakers watched as security could not stop the theft.
People brought back the mace later in the day, but they do not know why the thieves stole it.
Difficult words: ceremonial (used in a ceremony), mace (a heavy ball with sharp points that people used as a weapon in the past), symbol of authority (an object or an idea that shows that you are in charge).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.