Thousands of dead fish – level 3
As they collect thousands of dead fish, the question being asked is how did they die? Nearly 50 tonnes of dead fish have been removed by residents at the Cajititlan Lake in Mexico. The discharge of waste from treatment plants into the freshwater lake is thought to be the cause.
“We’re going to submit recommendations in the coming days regarding the fundamentally inadequate use of or operations of wastewater treatment plants around the lake which resulted in the lack of oxygen for the fish.”
Local authorities had originally blamed the so-called “natural cycle” of the fish locally known as papocha for the mass deaths. But authorities told the media the deaths were very likely caused by man-made contamination.
“There have been a significant number of deaths, but I insist that the deaths are due to a lack of oxygen caused by the wastewater in the lake.”
Possible fines could be levied on the commercial plants around the lake if they are found guilty of not properly managing their waste disposal.
Difficult words: discharge (something which was discharged – allowed to flow out), fundamentally (in every important way), inadequate (not good enough), contamination (pollution), significant (large), insist (to say firmly that something is true), due to (because of), fine (the money you must pay for doing something wrong), levy (to impose – make somebody pay).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.