Thousands of penguins die – level 3
A recent study reveals that the loss of ice in a specific area of Antarctica led to the death of emperor penguin chicks in four colonies.
Satellite imagery indicated that the ice had disappeared in December, during the Southern Hemisphere’s summer, resulting in around 9,000 chicks not surviving. The researchers found that climate change will increase the frequency of such ice losses in the future. Overall, the ice levels around Antarctica hit record lows last year. The study’s co-author Peter Fretwell states that nearly 30% of known penguin colonies were affected by low sea-ice levels, and approximately 13 colonies likely failed due to these conditions.
Concerns arise about the penguins’ ability to find suitable breeding sites in the face of ongoing climate change.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What can be done to help prevent future losses of emperor penguin chicks due to declining sea-ice levels?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.