Tiananmen Square Protests – level 2
In 1989, the Tiananmen Square protests were protests for democracy and human rights in China. The Chinese government responded violently to these protests.
It is not known how many people died, but people say that it is something between a few hundred to a few thousand of people.
Now it is 30 years after the events at Tiananmen Square. Recently, China’s defence minister said that the violent response was the right move and that it was good for the stability of the country.
The US Secretary of State also talked about the Tiananmen Square protests. He said that the protesters were heroes, and he criticised China for not respecting the human rights. One of the examples that he gave was that China arrested more than 1 million Muslims recently.
Difficult words: human rights (for example, the idea that all people are free and that it is not OK to kill people), respond (answer, do something because of something else), violently (by fighting), Secretary of State (a person in the government who represents the USA in international events).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.