Tiananmen Square Protests – level 3
This year is the 30th anniversary of the student-led 1989 Tiananmen Square protests which called for democracy, human rights, and an end to corruption in China.
Ahead of the anniversary, China’s defence minister said that the violent response to the protests was the right move, arguing that it helped bring ‘stability’ to the country during a politically turbulent time. It is not known how many were injured and wounded in the crackdown exactly, but people say that the number of dead range from several hundred to several thousand people.
The US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, called the actions of the protesters ‘heroic’ and criticised China’s history of human rights abuses. One of the examples that he gave was China’s recent arrests of over 1 million Muslims.
Difficult words: turbulent (very unstable), crackdown (repression, serious action against something), Secretary of State (a person in the government who represents the USA in international things), abuse (an act of not respecting the human rights).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.