TikTok ban – level 3
Popular social media app TikTok that was developed by Chinese company ByteDance, the world’s most valuable startup, has been banned in multiple countries.
There are concerns over the company’s proximity to the Chinese government and its hold over user data across the world.
The UK will ban TikTok on government phones with immediate effect, as they may contain sensitive information. Similar moves have been made in Belgium, Canada, Scotland, the European Parliament, and New Zealand, with governments citing national security. US administration said that TikTok’s owners had to diversify their stakes or face a possible US ban. US legislation allows the government to ban foreign-based technologies that pose security risks.
India banned TikTok and dozens of other apps by Chinese developers on all devices in June 2020, claiming that they were potentially harmful to the country’s security and integrity. Pakistan has banned TikTok four times over what the government called immoral and indecent content on the app.
China said that New Zealand and the UK should provide a fair environment to companies from all countries.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures have other countries taken to protect user data from Chinese companies like ByteDance?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.