TikTok ban – level 3
US politician Marco Rubio presented bipartisan legislation to ban China’s social media app TikTok.
The legislation would also block all transactions from any social media company located in or influenced by China and Russia. The action comes after a failed attempt by President Trump’s government to ban TikTok.
Last month, FBI director Chris Ray said that the social network’s operations raised national security concerns, and China maybe could use TikTok to influence users or control their devices. Some US states have already banned the use of TikTok on government devices and computer networks. A TikTok spokesperson said politics motivated the legislation, and he said that it would do nothing to protect national security.
Another bipartisan bill would limit access to US banks for Huawei technologies and other Chinese companies. Lawmakers said that these companies engaged in economic espionage against the United States.
Difficult words: bipartisan (supported by two political parties), espionage (secret collection of information and reports on political, military, or business information).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos